Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside

It seemed wrong.  Really wrong.  Pulling on a swimming suit after just hearing the TV weatherman say that it was 10 degrees outside with a wind chill below zero, but it was water aerobics day and I braved the cold.  The pool was a wonderful 86 degrees and the hot tub after class was 104 so I left the class feeling very toasty.  Then on to work on my Quilt Along With Melody quilt.


I decided on a liberated log cabin quilt and made a sample block from scraps to see if there were any pitfalls or tricks I needed to know about cutting or sewing wonky strips.  The sample block went together smoothly and gave me a chance to experiment with various widths of strips.






The plan is to make a queen size quilt.  To unify the design I've decided to make the center square of each block out of a black and white print.  I chose 11 different prints and cut a few squares from each of them, then started cutting strips for the logs.  I'm cutting the strips on an angle, having learned from making my sample block that it was easier for me to make my wonky angled logs from  fabric that had been cut on an angle and matching the edge of the log to the edge of the block,  rather than taking a straight piece of fabric and sewing  it on to the block at an angle.  About a third of my strips have been cut. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. It's after midnight and the bed beckons.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment