Thursday, February 17, 2011

Back To Posting Again

It was 72 WONDERFUL degrees today.  What a difference a week can make in the weather!  I ran an errand this afternoon and had the sun roof open and the windows down in the Beetle.  Nice.  After a couple of hours in the sunshine I got back to working on my liberated log cabin.  I been working away on the blocks everyday and not leaving enough time to post before going to bed each night.  Will try to do better.  

Cutting the strips was more time consuming that what I thought it would be, but from the first batch I cut I had enough to complete 35 blocks with some strips left over.  I need 56 blocks to make the quilt queen size so I spent some time this evening cutting more strips.  I've found the easiest way to manage the long strips is to put them on a clothes drying rack.  Once they get too short to put on the rack they go in a pile next to my sewing machine, and I use these short pieces in the first couple of rounds of logs. 
I found out quickly that assembly line sewing was the way to go and I turned out 12 blocks the first day!  HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
After the first twelve blocks I decided to add a border to each block, with all four sides the same, and  in black and another color.  This is what some of  the blocks look like now.  I'm not sure if I like the look of the bordered blocks.  I'm thinking about doing the border of remaining 11 blocks in a white and black print(s) to lighten up the quilt and give it the look I want.  I've only got the first round of logs sewn on the last 11 blocks, so I have more time to contemplate that thought.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment